Tuesday, November 3, 2015

9. Reflection

REFLECTION
Teaching a class an activity is a very interesting exercise and experience. I actually really enjoyed it. There's something about sharing your knowledge about how to do things and having people learn them. You feel the joy when you see them succeed and make something they really wanted to create. I thought I'd be doing a lot more talking and answering questions and explaining things but perhaps due to the nature of the task, there was not as much as I imagined. I was hoping more people would ask me more questions or bring up some ideas they'd like to try and we can try to plan or draft it together. But perhaps every one was busy trying to start the process. I hope every one had a good time. At least they seemed engrossed in what they were doing. We'll see in the upcoming classes how this will play out. I'm definitely looking forward to helping out more when we do actual painting! Quite exciting!


READING SUMMARY
No readings this week! Woo!

***

XTRA TO SHARE
A few weeks ago, I emailed the class with a couple of YouTube videos made by THNKR channel. I will repost them here as I still think about them every now and then and consider them according to Buechley's talk and other readings.

14 year old Kathryn rebuilding her own car: http://youtu.be/9vZpNQUIqIg
15 year old Kelvin building FM radios with electronic parts found from trash cans in Sierra Lione: http://youtu.be/XOLOLrUBRBY

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Liz for your instruction. I really enjoy today's practice on laser cutting and look forward to finalizing it on this Friday! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally shocked by Kathryn. I am trying to retrospect my childhood. When I was 14, what did I addict to? Toy car? Lego? Nintendo? Definitely not a car! I guess it's super challenging not only because it requires intense physical labor contribution but also professional skills and making spirit. Anyway, totally inspired! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn is amazing. Is she an exception or a goal we should set for everyone? I concur with Andong's take ... so many skills coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I can't place her dad ... where do I know him from? ARGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelvin is definitely going places in life! It's amazing when I see autodidact makers and inventors: it seems to me like some of the best learn how to create what they wish to simply through their own understandings. Howard Hughes was one example, and Stanford Ovshinsky (a pioneer in battery and solar technologies whose papers I've been organizing for the Bentley Historical Library) provides another incarnation. What really impresses me that Kelvin is so community-minded: the world needs more people like him, people with intelligence, skills, and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, it's interesting to me to see Kathryn's story because my parents had a Fiero when I was born and still teasingly lament that they had to give it up (it only seats two).

    It seems to me that Kathryn's work is such a Michigan project to do. Undoubtedly, cars are rebuilt and retooled across the country by a variety of types of people, but the intimate connection that this state has with the auto industry makes the automobile have a special mystique for us and for our makers in particular. If you have a chance to take in a Michigan auto show or cruise while you're still here, I would do it so you can see the special ties in person. It's quite a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete